(Subject to Change)
11:00am – Registration and Networking Open
11:30am– Buffet Lunch
12:00pm – Welcome to the 2018 Private Development Summit
- Speaker: Rebekah Morris, Publisher & Owner, AZBEX
12:05pm – The Risk Takers – Who’s going Spec in the Valley? – The recession nearly turned speculative development into a taboo topic, but the developers who do take risks are rewarded with high rental rates and most often occupancy prior to completion. This panel discussion will get to know who’s taking on that risk, where they see opportunity, and what the unique challenges are in bringing a spec project to market.
- Sven Tustin – Senior Vice President, Conor Commercial Real Estate
- Jeff LaPour – President/CEO, LaPour
- Moderator: Ben Graff – Partner, Zoning & Land Use Attorney – ADAY GRAFF PC
12:50pm – Deeper Dive – What’s Being Developed in Phoenix? – City Deputy Director will take us on a tour of the City, updating us on major development corridors and rumored projects. Updates include the downtown Talking Stick Arena, Greyhound development site, Del Rio, Hance Park Redevelopment plan, and opportunities for development around the new L202 corridor.
- Speaker: Lori Collins, Deputy Director, Community & Economic Development, City of Phoenix
1:20pm – Reality Bites! Overcoming Both the Skilled Labor Shortage and Rising Construction Costs – Not only are we facing a skilled labor shortage, but materials prices seem to be going up every day. Is the local construction market at capacity? How are suppliers, subcontractors, and General Contractors dealing with all these issues at multiple levels? Hear from the front lines on these and more critical issues facing new real estate development.
- Chandra Reilly – Project Executive, Sundt Construction Company
- Randy Eskelson – President & COO, Schuff Steel Management Company
- Cole Johnson – President, Paul Johnson Drywall
- Moderator: Julian Anderson – President, Rider Levett Bucknall
2:05pm – Quick Hit – What’s Being Developed in Tempe? – Economic Development Program Manager Maria Laughner will fill us in on the latest and greatest of the City of Tempe Development.
- Speaker: Maria Laughner – Economic Development Program Manager, City of Tempe
2:15pm – BREAK
2:40pm – Getting to the ‘Go’ – Financing New Real Estate Developments – The most common reason for development projects to be delayed or canceled is financing. This segment will explore the two sides of that coin – the equity side and the construction lending side. A developer will first describe how the equation works, then interview both an equity financier and a lending professional, drawing out what requirements each have, and, most importantly, how they decide whether to finance or not.
- Ericka LeMaster, Senior VP Commercial Real Estate, Alliance Bank of Arizona
- Joe Blackbourn, President, Everest Holdings
- Moderator: John Orsak – Director of Real Estate, Lincoln Property Company
3:10pm – Quick Hit – Developer Profile– Update from a developer on a major redevelopment project.
- Speaker: Karrin Taylor Robson – Founder and President, AZ Strategies
3:20pm – Deeper Dive – Multifamily Outlook – How much more multifamily can the Phoenix Metro support? Explore how large the development pipeline actually is for multifamily, where the projects are happening, and whether (ever?) we’ll slow down in this product type. ABI Multifamily Research Director Thomas Brophy brings a hilarious perspective of the underlying demand and influencing factors on all things multifamily.
- Speaker: Thomas Brophy, Director of Research, ABI Multifamily
3:40pm – Quick Hit – DreamPort Villages Update – Dreamport Villages, the trans-formative recreational and commercial mega-project that is visioned to make Casa Grande into a Sun Corridor super-destination community, continues to blaze its way through its pre-construction milestones. Nate Cottrell, a local civil engineering consultant that has been working mostly in the background on the project for a decade, will present an update regarding the “Who, what/where, why, and when,” over-viewing this ambitious and challenging development project.
- Speaker: Nathan Cottrell, P.E. – Owner, Physical Resource Engineering (PRE)
3:50pm – Soup to Nuts – Firms that do it All – There are those developers or contractors that have nearly the entire spectrum of development, design, and construction services in house. This panel discussion will explore how that works, how they differ, and when and why they would ever use outside services.
- David Sellers – CEO, LGE Design Build
- George Forristall – Director of Real Estate Development, Mortenson Construction
- Ryan Cochran – Senior Director of Development, Kitchell Development Company
- Moderator: Jason Ploszaj – Associate Principal – RSP Architects
4:35pm – Closing Remarks – He has a way with words. His closing remarks will recap highlights and bring it all together in a way only he can.
- Speaker: Grady Gammage, Founder, Gammage and Burnham
4:45pm – Networking Happy Hour
6:00pm – Conclusion